How it all began
Originally, a simple farmhouse stood at the address Zug no. 5. Today, on the same spot, one of the most modern and comfortable hotels on the Arlberg awaits you: the Walch´s Rote Wand Gourmet Hotel.
The old Walser farm was built back in 1651. Around 300 years later, Josef Walch senior and his wife Burgi gave the house at no. 5 in Zug a new lease of life, turning it into a café and guest house. The first guests arrived in 1959, with the attic storey being extended in the summer of 1960. This was followed by an annex with a restaurant and further rooms. The restaurant was extended in 1972. Back then, the focus was on the restaurant, and the rooms were given up.
Many guests from Lech came to dine in the Rote Wand inn in Zug, with Burgi Walch cooking for her guests. Many of the original guests still praise her apple strudel and her quark strudel – her shredded pancakes are also a legend in the region. A further favourite was fondue, introduced to the Arlberg by Josef Walch senior.