How it all began

Originally, a simple farmhouse stood at the address Zug no. 5. Today, on the same spot, one of the most modern and comfortable hotels on the Arlberg awaits you: the Alpen Sport Resort Rote Wand.

The old Walser farm was built back in 1651. Around 300 years later, Josef Walch senior and his wife Burgi gave the house at no. 5 in Zug a new lease of life, turning it into a café and guest house. The first guests arrived in 1959, with the attic storey being extended in the summer of 1960. This was followed by an annex with a restaurant and further rooms. The restaurant was extended in 1972. Back then, the focus was on the restaurant, and the rooms were given up.

Many guests from Lech came to dine in the Rote Wand inn in Zug, with Burgi Walch cooking for her guests. Many of the original guests still praise her apple strudel and her quark strudel – her shredded pancakes are also a legend in the region. A further favourite was fondue, introduced to the Arlberg by Josef Walch senior.

Skiing instructor during the day, in the evening Josef Walch senior picked his guests up from Lech by horse-drawn sleigh and brought them to the inn for a fondue. Many stayed back to join in the dancing. The former cellar bar – a disco with DJ – later became the infamous Sennkessel, attracting many celebrities staying in Lech to nearby Zug to party. Then came 1999 and, in favour of the hotel guests getting a good night’s sleep, the lively parties were stopped for good.

After taking over the inn from his parents in 1987, Joschi Walch started extending the hotel in 1989. First of all he added buildings A and B, and the former stables were replaced by the apartment block. Today, the Alpen Sport Resort Rote Wand is a modern sports and wellness hotel with five buildings connected by an underground tunnel, outside and inside pool, a large wellness area and many other extras worth discovering.

History of the Rote Wand

2016

Falstaff nominates Joschi Walch the most innovative gastronome of the year
Lech’s new golf course opened, this means that we are now able to offer friends of the green sport golfing fun at an altitude of 1,500 metres above sea level
The Vorarlberger Award for innovation 2016 goes to the Rote Wand Schualhus

2015

1.200mof Red Spa presents an brandnew Ladies Spa with seperated Family and textile-Sauna we restaurated the INdoor Pool Our Head Chef Manual Grabherr scoops the third Gault Millau toque for the Rote Wand Renovated, converted and extended - our Schualhus is open and gives Lech a new Hotspot

2014

Gault Millau: two toques for our À la Carte Restaurant 50th years since Josef Walch senior introduced the fondue to the Arlberg

2013

There are many new ideas awaiting implementation for this year, too

2012

The hotel restaurant is completely converted and the bathrooms in Houses A and B are completely re-designed

2010

The apartments in House C are converted into 12 family lodges

2009

House D, with a fitness area covering 300 m2, a large gymnastics room, three family suites and eight junior suites is built

2007

The wellness complex sees the addition of an indoor and an outdoor pool, a new quiet room, four more saunas as well as a beauty and a children’s area
All rooms in House A and House B are renovated

1999

The Sennkessel’s days are numbered. In favour of a good night’s sleep for the hotel guests, the legendary disco closes its doors for good

1998

House C, an apartment block, is built where once the stables stood

1990

The Sennkessel is turned into a disco

1989

Conversion into the four-star Hotel Alpen Sport Resort Rote Wand, as it is known today, commences

1987

Joschi Walch takes over the Rote Wand inn from his parents

976

The cellar bar becomes the infamous Sennkessel

1972

The restaurant is extended

1964

The first fondue on the Arlberg is served in the Rote Wand
The cellar bar opens its doors as a disco with DJ

1960

Conversion of the attic storey, building of a restaurant annex

1959

The farmhouse is converted into a café with guest house

1651

The old farm Zug no. 5 is mentioned for the first time

1959

The farmhouse is converted into a café with guest house

1651

The old farm Zug no. 5 is mentioned for the first time

1959

The farmhouse is converted into a café with guest house